Skip to main content

Domestic Abuse

If you have been the victim of domestic abuse or violence, we can help you as a matter of urgency.

When domestic abuse occurs, you do not have to suffer in silence because we are here to help.

We fully recognise that discussing any domestic abuse you have experienced can be very difficult.

That’s why we keep everything that is discussed with us confidential and we will treat you with compassion and understanding.

If you choose to discuss your experience of domestic abuse with us, we can obtain an injunction for you. This is an order of the court which, via what is known as a ‘non-molestation’ order, will protect you from being harmed or threatened by the person who has abused you. Any proceedings that we issue on your behalf are completely private and the court will ensure your identity is protected throughout.

If your child has been abused or threatened, the court has similar powers to make a non-molestation order in their favour, which again we can obtain for you.

We can also assist you in obtaining an ‘occupation order’, which is where the court can determine who can live in the family homeor enter the area of the home. This is in order to protect you or your child from violence. Those who are eligible for occupation orders include a huband, wife, civil partner, cohabitee, family member, fiancé, parent or child.

In addition, in some cases the court can attach a Power of Arrest to an order made, which ensures that if someone breaches the order they can be sent to prison.

We will confirm a fixed price for obtaining the order on your behalf at the time you instruct us and you will also be eligible for our free, initial 30 minute consultation, as well as a second 30 minute consultation for £50. Simply phone us to arrange on 0300 303 3629.

To get in touch with the Specters team, submit an enquiry below or call us on 0300 303 3629.

Make An Enquiry

Divorce FAQs

What are the grounds for divorce?

To get a divorce, you must be able to demonstrate that your marriage has irretrievably broken down. You must be able to prove the following:

  • Your spouse has acted unreasonably;
  • Your spouse has committed adultery;
  • Your spouse has deserted you for a continuous period of two years;
  • You and your spouse have been separated for at least two years and you are both in agreement to the divorce proceedings;
  • You and your spouse have been separated for at least five years.

How long does the divorce procedure take?

A standard divorce can take between 6-8 months, provided that it is not contested. If a divorce is contested then this timescale will be longer and it will depend on when outstanding issues are resolved.

Do I have to attend court?

If matters are uncontested, and you have already agreed with your former partner your divorce and financial arrangements, there will be no requirement for you to attend court. Your divorce will be processed based on your paperwork. If you not agreed on part or all of your financial arrangements, you will be obliged to attend Court.